so it seems like everybody hates book!Shae and acts like she did all these despicable things and I really don’t understand why????
1) In the books, Shae is a teenager. A. TEEN. AGER. Let that sink in. We’re talking about a child prostitute here.
2) In the books, Shae feels that Tyrion is just another client. She’s just doing her job. She has no obligation to be in love with him; she doesn’t owe him anything; she is a CHILD PROSTITUTE.
3) Shae uses Tyrion to advance her station in life. This is because pleasing Tyrion is her JOB, and her job is her LIVELIHOOD, and THAT’S WHAT A LIVELIHOOD IS. Making money to improve your life.
4) She testifies against Tyrion. We’ve already covered the “she doesn’t owe him anything” part, but even if she DID, do you REALLY think a person in Shae’s position can say NO to the QUEEN? Expendable people who say “no” to Cersei end up in the black cells as Qyburn test subjects. Shae is smart and she wants to survive—can this be held against her??
5) She sleeps with Tywin. JESUS H. CHRIST, SHE IS A PROSTITUTE, THIS IS HER JOB, HAVE WE NOT COVERED THIS??
For what possible reason can she be judged an awful person?? What is her crime? Trying to survive as a lowborn girl in Westeros? Being a sex worker in a world with few, if any, other options? Using her sexuality (one of the only resources at her disposal) to make a better life for herself? Failing to fall in love with a protagonist? And for any of these reasons, can you say she deserved to die?
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit to you that my client, as well as having been brutally murdered in-canon, has been wrongfully maligned by this fandom, and that the accusations against her are nothing but wank and misogyny.
The defense rests.